Wednesday 30 January 2013

Travelling through threads

I’ve had the black velour jumpsuit that I’m wearing today for over twenty years.
All throughout my teens my mum would let me order a few bits from the mail-order catalogue each season.
What would usually happen is that I would scope out the things that I fancied & then hang on until the sale to get more bang for my buck or kit for my krona as it were.
Invariably the things that I’d chosen ended up in the sale, perhaps cause I would usually favour the more impractical & ostentatious garments.
Whilst my mates took their fashion inspiration from Beverly Hills 90210, I sought my style stimulus in music videos; I wanted to look like the chicks on MTV, hell yeah!
The early 90s saw my wardrobe embrace a holy mishmash of clingy, second skin like leggings, jumpsuits & mini dresses, jewel tone long velvet waistcoats, ridiculously oversized jumpers in a kaleidoscope of colours and a rough and ready camouflage print bomber jacket.
I also bought my first ever pair of DMs and wore them to death.
My favourite shade of lipstick was called ‘Chocolate Kiss’ and my perfume was New West by Aramis. 
I know that some people recoil in horror when faced with photos of their younger self, mainly because of the clothing they were sporting back then but I see these photos as little snapshots of a journey.
Personally I love seeing how someones style has evolved throughout the years and although my own long & winding road has been laced with a fair few fashion disasters, 
all-in-all I'm pretty pleased with where its taken me.
How about you?
Vintage 80s snakeskin print jacket (eBay), 90s velour jumpsuit (Halens), 80s cowboy boots (car boot sale), beaded bib necklace (pressie) & DIYed earrings (made myself)
The words that you can see in the first pic are from a song by one of my all-time favourite bands 'The The'.
You can listen to it here, go on you know you want to ;)
Lot's of love,
Jennie
xXx



17 comments:

Olga Rani said...

I look at some of my old photos not with horror but with a laugh. That was different time and different me and I felt pretty good at those outfits then.

UB said...

ahh fabulous jacket and shoes!!

Vix said...

That snakeskin jacket takes me back (as does the velvet bodysuit) and the way you've worn them looks fresh, funky and contemporary.
There's hardly any pictures of me from my past apart from the odd holiday snap. Back in my youth nobody took a camera on a night out and they were banned at gigs so there's nothing to cringe over, fortunately!
I still wear the same Barry M shade of lipstick, blue nail polish and patchouli oil but my spiral permed blonde locks are definitely a thing of the past! xxx

mispapelicos said...

Not many people could wear that fabulous jump suit like you, Jennie.
fabulous and edgy.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Rose&Bird said...

I used to trawl my mum's mail order catalogue when the new one arrived and pick out all the things I wanted - might have got one thing if I was lucky! I remember I always wanted one of those panne velvet dresses that were all the rage at the time! You always look great, whatever you wear x

Franca said...

I'd love to see your photos! for me, it's the hair that makes me cringe. I had some awful cuts and colours!

freckleface said...

Ooh that takes me back. I have a black velvet catsuit from the 90s. It was one of my favourite clubbing outfits twenty years ago. Unfortunately I couldn't put it on today and look as good as you do!
Good, bad or indifferent, I love seeing old photos and the old outfits. xxx

Unknown said...

That jumpsuit is hot!

www.studdedkisses.com

follow for follow? :)

Jeeda said...

some of my style choice of the past make me cringe just thinking about them, anyway love your jacket
http://thelittlebigobsession.blogspot.co.uk

p.s I'm holding a little giveaway on my blog if you're interested

Anonymous said...

Me encanta esta chaqueta!!!!
Saludos
http://judithbysucre.blogspot.com.es

blue roses said...

that jumpsuit is incredible. definitely a lifetime piece!



http://dallianceswithsuitsandskirts.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

The jumpsuit is amazing - and still looks brand new! Sarah xxx

Ulla-Marie said...

Susan, var är du? Underbart!

Unknown said...

i love this jacket and those boots! Man they are so gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Love the snake print jacket! It's so cute!

Stop by sometime, xo Natalie
lavagabonddame.com

Unknown said...

Wow, that jacket is absolutely gorgeous!!!

The Grande Dame said...

A velour jumpsuit is not something that makes me think 'oh cool!' but you make it look very cool. Love your boots.